Sunday, March 11, 2012

Lots of canning!

9+ hours at the sink yesterday yielded:
  • 10 qts diced tomatoes
  • 1 pt diced tomatoes
  • 6 pints dilly beans
  • 6 qts bread and butter pickles
  • 7 pts relish
Here is what I made:
Don't those look good? 

Here is a look at the dilly beans with their cloves of garlic and fresh dill:


I see lots of soups and chilis in the coming months.  We've been eating a lot of vegetarian dinners lately and have been using more tomatoes than usual.

The relish was my only disappointment--and it was really time-intensive!  The recipe called for a cup of finely diced celery plus 2 teaspoons of celery seed.  It's just too much celery.  I wish I had either cut the seed amount in half or left it out all together.
Everything is packed away on shelves in my food storage closet. The pickles will be ready in about 2 months; the tomatoes and relish are ready now.

No comments:

Post a Comment